The benefits of yoga for your mind & body
What is yoga?
Yoga is around for over 5,000 years. Originally from India, it ‘s a total mind-body workout. It combines strengths, stretching poses, deep breathing, and meditation for a healthy mind and body. Yoga is a physical, mental and spiritual practice.
One of the benefits of yoga is to stimulate inner peace and physical energy. There is a lot of different form of yoga, some are fast-paced and intense, and others are gentle & relaxing. You have to find the right fit for your fitness level and what type of yoga is right for you.
It became popular in the West in the 20th century. The word yoga means “concentration”; to join the mind and body. The goal of yoga is to achieve peace within you and have a specific purpose, along with focus.
Six types of yoga
- Anusara- Mean flowing with grace. It connects the positive philosophy aspect of yoga with physical alignment and honours the difference in the individual that makes them unique. The poses encourage you to open your heart, both physically and mentally. It ‘s accessible to everyone with different abilities.
- Ashtanga- involves synchronizing the breath with the postures. Ashtanga is an intense yoga; it produces internal heat, which brings sweat that detoxifies muscles and organs. The poses are always in the same sequences. The result improves blood circulation, a healthy body, and a calm mind.
- Bikram-It’s an intensive yoga, same as Ashtanga. Birkman follows 28 different poses that focus on stretching and warming the muscles.
- Lyengar-It’s a slow yoga, suitable for people who had an injury. The poses focused on the alignment of the body.
- Restorative-The environment is calm and therapeutic. The poses are slow and allow the body to relax.
- Vinyasa-It’s similar to Ashtanga, upbeat and challenging poses; they are never the same poses.
I started yoga 20 years ago; I change my yoga practice often. Accordingly, on the way, I feel and what my body or mental needs that day. I like to change and challenge myself.
I found Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube excellent.
.https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene You have to try to see if that fit your expectation.
The ten benefits of yoga
1. Improves your flexibility
Improved flexibility is one of the first and most benefits of yoga. During your first class, you probably won’t be able to touch your toes, but if you stick with it, you will notice a gradual improvement. You will see that aches and pains start to disappear after a few practices of yoga.
2. Builds muscle strength and Perfects your posture
Strong muscles do more than looking good. They protect us from conditions like arthritis and back pain. And when you build strength through yoga, you balance it with flexibility, and Your posture will improve.
3. Increases your blood flow
Yoga gets your blood flowing. The relaxation exercises you learn in yoga can help your circulation, especially in your hands and feet. Yoga gets more oxygen to your cells, which function better as a result.
4. Founds a healthy lifestyle
Yoga practice gets you moving and burns calories. The spiritual and emotional dimensions of your course may encourage you to address any eating and weight problems on a deeper level. Yoga may also inspire you to become a more conscious eater.
5. Helps you focus
An essential part of yoga is focusing on the present. Studies have found that regular yoga practise improves coordination, reaction time, memory.
6. Relaxes your system
Yoga encourages you to relax by slowing your breath and focus on the present. It lowers breathing and heart rates decrease blood pressure and increase blood flow. It relaxes your mind and body.
7. Improves your balance
Practicing yoga increases and improves balance.
8. Helps you sleep deeper and better
Yoga can provide relief from the stress of modern life, meaning less worry as yoga teach you to stay focus on the present. Less worry more sleep.
9. Increases your self-esteem
If you take a positive approach and practice yoga, you will experience a feeling of gratitude, empathy, and forgiveness, as well as a sense that you are part of something bigger. By improving your overall health, mental, and physical, your self-self-esteem will get a boost, and you will feel great.
10. Encourage self-care
Yoga gives you the tools to help you change, and you might start to feel better the first time you try practicing. You may also notice that the more you commit to practice, the more you benefit.
yoga is good for everyone
- Yoga helps kids to relax from stress and anxiety; however, they are young but learn from us, the parents and society. The children experience stress, between school, activities and social relationships. Often they don’t know to recognize and how to handle their stress. We have to provide them with practical and appropriate tools to manage their emotions. The practice of yoga teaches them to release stress and anxiety by grounding themselves. Breathing techniques support the release of the build-up negative emotions, to bring positive one instead.
- They sleep better; When we stress, our bodies are tense, our minds are full. It reduces our ability to sleep. That the same for the children. Yoga helps to relieve stress, with the use of breathing techniques and the release of body tension. They sleep better with a clear mind.
- It improves their mood and emotional regulation; as a result, they learn to self-regulate and manage their emotions.
As we age, incorporate physical activity into our daily routines is essential. With regular exercise, seniors feel more energetic, and it helps manage the pains. Yoga improves flexibility and balance, enhance strength and boost mood.
- Yoga, let go of the tension you hold in your body. It relieves the stresses that lead to hypertension; also reduces anxiety, blood pressure, and helps you breathe easier.
- Strengthens your bones and helps prevent osteoporosis.
- Improved sleep as yoga relax along with the gentle exercises. As a result, you sleep like a baby.
- The slow movements with yoga poses, leading to better balance, flexibility, mobility and strength.
- Yoga fires up your digestion, as it moves the abdomen in every way.
- You build strength, flexibility, and balance, which gives the ability of self-confidence.
- It requires more focus than muscle; in the end, it’s about developing concentration.
- Yoga is not only about your body; it’s about your life. You learn to live a more conscious, compassionate, and focused experience.
- Improve your posture, as you feel great, and your self-esteem goes up.
- Your metabolism works better, which helps to maintain or lose weight.
- Blood pressure and blood sugar, with the practice of yoga and proper nutrition, vanish. It enables a better blood circulation and oxygenation of the body.
- You build strength, flexibility, and balance, which gives you a toned body.
- More energy and better sleep
- The immune system gets powerful.
- Yoga routine helps to calm & relax, no more tension and good night sleep.
Yoga helps me release my tension, but it also gets rid of my cholesterol. I don’t like to take medication; I always try alternative practice as food, meditation and yoga. That works with me and my lifestyle.
Try for yourself and let me know how you feel. Don’t forget it takes practice, don’t focus first on the pose but more on your breathing.
Need help, contact us.